Now Sharing: Articles: 202 Images: 623 Total Items Archived: 825

Scholar Remembered

The Reverend Robert King, clergyman, teacher and respected historian of the Irish church, died on 4 January after several years of declining health. Born in Cork in 1815, he had spent more than four decades in County Antrim, where he served as headmaster of the diocesan school at Ballymena. His death ended a long career combining parish work, education, historical research and Irish-language scholarship. King was buried at Broughshane, a village closely associated with the final period of his life, while former pupils, clergy and readers were left to assess the unusual range of his intellectual labour.

Limerick Stone Cottage, 1937

This February 1937 photograph shows a weathered stone cottage in Limerick, with children gathered at its doorway and along the narrow street outside. The rough masonry, patched walls, boarded upper windows and low, sloping roof reveal the building’s age and modest condition. Electrical wires cross above the house, suggesting the gradual arrival of modern services within an older urban landscape. The children’s presence brings warmth and life to the scene, contrasting with the severe exterior and surrounding ruins. The image provides a valuable record of working-class housing, childhood and community life in pre-war Limerick during a period of social change.

Cold Continuation

January came into Limerick without ceremony for most of the people who had to live through it. The arrival of a new century did not lift rent from a labourer’s door, provide sound boots for a schoolchild, warm a damp room, settle a shop debt, clear a fevered lane or make an uncertain wage secure. Across the city and county, families entered the year carrying the same burdens that had shaped the closing decades of the nineteenth century. Public celebration meant little where survival continued to depend upon bread, coal, credit, employment and the health of children.

Teampall Nua in Ruins

The old church near Holycross, County Limerick, was recorded as a ruin by 1642. In 1679, Rachael Bourchier, Countess of Bath, restored the building, just one year before her death. Thereafter it became known as the New Church, or Teampall Nua in Irish, and served local Church of Ireland parishioners. A belfry was added during the restoration, giving the structure a distinctive profile. Although the church later fell out of use and returned to ruin, its surviving walls, arched openings and graveyard remain important reminders of seventeenth-century religious life and the long history of worship at this historic site today.

Terminus Tragedy

A serious accident at Limerick railway terminus left labourer James Davoren requiring the amputation of his right leg. The Irish Times reported on 2 January 1900 that Davoren had gone to the station to see his brother, described as a solicitor, depart by train for Fermoy. During the farewell, he fell from the platform onto the permanent way and was caught beneath the passing train. Railway staff and bystanders found him lying on the rails after the carriages had cleared. He was removed without delay to Barrington’s Hospital, where surgeons determined that the injured limb could not be saved.

The Heart of Edwardian Limerick

At the beginning of the twentieth century, George Street stood at the centre of commercial life in Limerick. Today known as O’Connell Street, it was bordered by impressive Georgian buildings housing hotels, shops, offices and established local businesses. Horse-drawn carts, private carriages and crowds of pedestrians moved constantly along the busy thoroughfare, while traders brought additional noise and colour to the scene. Landmarks included the Royal Hotel, MacMahon’s Temperance Hotel and firms such as O’Mahony & Company. The street’s elegant architecture and lively commerce made it one of Edwardian Limerick’s most important and recognisable urban spaces for residents and visitors.

Yeomanry Depart

Reports from Cape Town in early March 1900 carried the movement of the Leicestershire Yeomanry into Limerick homes already preoccupied with the South African War. The 7th (Leicestershire) Company of the 4th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry, had reached the Cape near the end of February and was ordered inland with its battalion on 4 March. Although this county contingent had not been recruited in Limerick, its departure held local meaning because the Royal Munster Fusiliers drew heavily from Limerick city and county, while their 1st Battalion was already serving in South Africa.

Materials Wanted

Long before recycling became a familiar part of everyday life, the English and Continental Company invited Limerick residents to recognise the commercial value hidden in unwanted materials. Operating from 63 and 64 Mungret Street in 1900, the firm advertised for discarded goods that could be purchased, sorted and returned to productive use. Its premises stood within a busy commercial district close to the city’s markets, workshops and riverside trade. The advertisement reveals an organised local business in recovered materials, connecting household remnants and industrial offcuts with merchants prepared to sell them into wider manufacturing and export networks.

Dutch Billy Houses, Mary Street

Dutch Billy houses were once a distinctive feature of Limerick’s Englishtown and Irishtown districts. Characterised by narrow brick façades, steeply pitched gables and tall windows, the style developed in Irish towns during the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries. Many examples survived along Mary Street into the early twentieth century, preserving the appearance of Limerick’s merchant quarters. Their name is traditionally associated with King William III, although the term was applied broadly to gabled urban houses of the period. By around 1900, these buildings stood as reminders of the city’s commercial growth, architectural character and changing streetscape across previous centuries.

William Street, Limerick

William Street has served as one of Limerick City’s principal commercial streets since its creation within the Newtown Pery development in 1789. Extending from O’Connell Street towards Mulgrave Street, it was named after William Cecil Pery, brother of Edmund Pery, who promoted the city’s Georgian expansion. Its red-brick terraces, fanlights, sash windows and underground vaulted cellars reflect ambitious eighteenth-century planning. Over time, the street witnessed destructive fires, overcrowded tenements and major changes in transport and retail. Shops, drapers, chemists and public houses later made William Street a busy commercial route that remains central to city life today in modern Limerick.