Web Analytics
New Zealand Dominates Athletic Scene: Unveiling the Secrets of Their Success | Limerick Gazette Archives

New Zealand Dominates Athletic Scene: Unveiling the Secrets of Their Success


In the annals of rugby history, certain matches stand out as memorable and iconic, encapsulating the essence of the sport’s passion, skill, and camaraderie. One such notable encounter took place between the invincible New Zealand rugby team, affectionately known as the “All Blacks,” and a determined selection representing Munster. This clash of titans, held at the esteemed Limerick venue, captured the attention of spectators and enthusiasts alike, drawing them into a captivating spectacle that unfolded on the hallowed grounds of the Markets Field enclosure. As the rain-soaked turf witnessed moments of both brilliance and perseverance, this match would etch its place in sporting history, leaving behind a tale of courage, rivalry, and the enduring spirit of rugby.

Global Sports Community Takes Note of New Zealand’s Triumphs

In a stunning turn of events, New Zealand has asserted its dominance on the athletic world stage, with their representative rugby team achieving unparalleled success. The remarkable victories of this team have sparked widespread curiosity about the factors contributing to their triumphs. The flourishing British Empire territory has dispatched a contingent to test their mettle against some of the world’s best teams, both individual and international, and the outcome has been nothing short of astonishing.

New Zealand’s rugby team has not only lived up to the lofty expectations of their compatriots but has also surpassed all predictions by convincingly outperforming even the most seasoned opponents. With each match, they have added to their already impressive scores, leaving a trail of awe-struck spectators and defeated adversaries in their wake.

The extent of New Zealand’s success becomes apparent when examining their scores against various opponents. The team’s impeccable record speaks for itself:

  • Against Downshire: 29-4
  • Against Cornwall: 4-0
  • Against Bristol: 7-8
  • Against Northampton: 4-4
  • Against Leicester: 5-0
  • Against Middlesex: 6-3
  • Against Durham: 8-9
  • Against Hartlepool: 9-6
  • Against Northumberland: 2-7
  • Against Gloucester: 7-8
  • Against Somerset: 3-3
  • Against Devonport Albion: 3-2
  • Against Midland Counties: 2-3
  • Against Surrey: 3-3
  • Against Blackheath: 3-3
  • Against Oxford University: 4-2
  • Against Cambridge University: 1-3
  • Against Richmond: 6-0
  • Against Bedford: 3-0
  • Against Scottish International: 4-1
  • Against West of Scotland: 2-4
  • Against Irish International: 3-0

The results have left the international sporting community astounded by New Zealand’s seemingly unstoppable trajectory. The secrets behind their unparalleled accomplishments have become a subject of fervent speculation, as enthusiasts and analysts alike seek to unravel the formula for their success.

As New Zealand continues to bask in the glory of their victories, the world watches in anticipation, eager to uncover the strategies, techniques, and team dynamics that have propelled them to the pinnacle of athletic achievement.

New Zealand’s Athletic Prowess: Unveiling the Reasons Behind Their Phenomenal Success

Awe-Inspiring Triumphs and Astonishing Fitness

New Zealand’s athletic accomplishments have captured the attention of the global sporting community, leaving many pondering the reasons behind their extraordinary success. The nation’s representative rugby team, known as the “Invinci,” has emerged as an unstoppable force, winning all 22 of their matches to date. The Invincibles have amassed a staggering 661 points while conceding a mere 22 points. Their record includes 85 goals, 1 penalty goal, 1 mark goal, and 80 tries, compared to their opponents’ single goal, 1 penalty goal, 2 drop goals, and 2 tries.

Observers and enthusiasts have been fascinated by the factors contributing to New Zealand’s unparalleled achievements. The Invincibles ‘ incredible fitness, speed, and vitality have drawn particular attention, setting them apart from their opponents. This remarkable physical condition can be attributed to several factors, including the active and outdoor lifestyle that the New Zealand players are accustomed to, extensive practice, and meticulous training.

In comparing the New Zealanders to their English counterparts, a notable disparity emerges. The Invincibles exhibit a level of athleticism rarely seen in the English teams. Many English players are young professionals or businessmen, healthy but lacking the rigorous training and systematic coaching that the Colonists receive. English players often play matches only once or twice a week and tend to forgo consistent practice. This disparity in training is evident in the scrums, where the Invincibles demonstrate an immediate impact, often disrupting their opponents’ setup and securing the ball more efficiently.

One key factor contributing to New Zealand’s success is the physical fitness of their players. The team consists of heavyweight players, and their physical prowess stems from their active lifestyles and dedicated training. Unlike in Ireland, where players are often encouraged to shed weight for speed, the Invincibles ‘ heaviness does not compromise their agility. This combination of weight and fitness has led to their exceptional speed, challenging the notion that weight hampers athletic performance.

The Invincibles‘ style of play has also been a topic of discussion. Observers note their vigorous and scientific approach, characterized by dash, skill, and clean gameplay. While allegations of rough play have surfaced, these claims appear baseless. The Invincibles tackle strongly and decisively, but their actions are devoid of excessive violence. The notion of a constant “forward” passing game has also been debunked, as careful refereeing and attentive crowds would likely expose such tactics.

In terms of formation, the Invincibles’ deployment of two “five eights” backs and a “winger” has been both innovative and successful. This formation provides an avenue for their speed and energy, highlighting their impressive teamwork and agility.

Ultimately, New Zealand’s success can be attributed to a combination of factors: rigorous training, exceptional fitness, systematic coaching, and innovative gameplay. As the world continues to marvel at their accomplishments, the Invincibles ‘ triumphs serve as an inspiration to athletes and enthusiasts alike.

Limerick Hosts Historic Rugby Match: Munster vs. Invincible New Zealand Team

Lively Preparations and Hopeful Expectations

Limerick embarked on an ambitious endeavour, orchestrated by a dedicated syndicate, as they secured a local venue for a momentous rugby match. The grand achievement of the Limerick syndicate was met with applause, as they boldly brought the invincible New Zealand team face-to-face with a selection representing Munster. Their daring efforts were rewarded with substantial gate receipts from spectators across the Markets Field enclosure, rightfully honouring the entertainment they provided for rugby enthusiasts in the South of Ireland.

Although prospects for Munster’s performance against the formidable All Blacks were not held in high regard, anticipation lingered in the air. While few held high hopes, there was a collective desire that Munster would not endure a defeat as crushing as the one experienced by the All-Ireland team the previous Saturday. The hope was to avoid a complete wipeout, and the selection representing Munster, although resolute, did not match the strategic opportunities for selection.

The composition of the Munster representatives did not fully capitalize on the available talent. The initial team was dominated by players from Cork, with eleven footballers hailing from the county alone. The selection was not necessarily the best that Munster’s various clubs could offer, as certain standout players were overlooked in favor of individuals with less impressive records. The absence of players like Magill from Garryowen, the Ryans, and Thade O’Connor from Rockwell was felt, as their speed and prowess could have significantly enhanced the team’s performance.

Magill’s swiftness, which he demonstrated in numerous hundred and 120-yard races, could have turned the tide for the Munster forwards. Thade O’Connor, with his characteristic dash, could have complemented Joe O’Connor’s renowned speed effectively. Furthermore, the team selection appeared imbalanced considering that North Munster recently triumphed over South Munster with a significant point difference. Despite this, South Munster received eleven representatives in the upcoming match, while North Munster secured only four spots.

The disproportionate representation raises questions about the selection process and fairness. Nevertheless, the enthusiasm and anticipation leading up to the match remain palpable, with rugby aficionados eagerly awaiting the unfolding of this historic encounter between Munster and the invincible New Zealand team.

Flawless Ground Setup and Smooth Operations Ensure Spectator Convenience

Optimal Arrangements for a Seamless Experience

In a bid to create an optimal experience for spectators across all categories, meticulous efforts were made to ensure the pitch’s setup catered to everyone’s convenience. The execution at the Markets Field was a testament to the skillful coordination of senior football players overseeing the arrangements, yielding exceptionally successful outcomes.

The layout incorporated a well-considered design, thoughtfully catering to the diverse divisions of spectators. Three entrances were designated for different ticket holders, streamlining the process and minimizing delays or confusion. The Garryowen Villas entrance served as the access point to the stand enclosure, while field ticket holders entered through the Garryowen proper side. For those with stand and touchline seat tickets, the corn market entrance provided access to their designated areas. This streamlined approach significantly reduced inconveniences and created a seamless experience for attendees.

Efforts extended beyond physical arrangements. The officials overseeing the event were not just symbolic figures; they embodied energy, resourcefulness, and effective leadership. Their presence contributed to the smooth orchestration of the proceedings, ensuring that every detail was meticulously managed. The arrangements were executed with precision and finesse, leaving no aspect overlooked.

In essence, the setup on the ground was a harmonious blend of practicality and careful planning. From entrance allocation to the fluid management of spectators, the event’s organizers demonstrated a commitment to providing an enjoyable and hassle-free experience for all attendees. The successful execution of these arrangements not only enhanced the overall event but also underscored the synergy between meticulous planning and effective execution.

Meticulous Arrangements and Ideal Accommodations at the Markets Field

Seamless Setup and Ideal Conditions for Spectators

The Markets Field, meticulously prepared for the event, presented an immaculate and inviting appearance. The organizers spared no effort in utilizing every available inch of space beyond the players’ area, ensuring a comprehensive utilization of the venue. Touchline ticket holders wasted no time in locating their seats among the approximately 500 chairs placed within the railing. These well-positioned seats provided a clear view of the action on the field, allowing spectators to witness the grand parade in conditions that were mostly optimal, though occasionally challenging.

In addition to the seating arrangements, provisions were made for the Press, acknowledging the critical role of journalists in covering the event. A substantial and influential contingent of journalists, equipped with pens as swift as the players’ movements, were accommodated along the touchline seats opposite the grandstand. This strategic positioning provided them with a prime vantage point to report on the proceedings while receiving the necessary support to effectively fulfill their roles.

Limerick’s dedication to meticulous arrangements culminated in an event that left no stone unturned. From the flawless appearance of the Markets Field to the seamless utilization of space and the provision of ideal accommodations for both spectators and journalists, the organizers ensured that every aspect was thoughtfully considered. The attention to detail and commitment to providing an exceptional experience for all involved contributed to the success of the event. Limerick’s role in orchestrating these meticulous arrangements brought a fitting and perfect conclusion to the overall event setup.

As a suitable conclusion to the overall arrangements, Limerick outperformed our urban friends in delivering entertainment for the several presenters. The splendia Band of the 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers and the St. Joseph’s Industrial School were in attendance, and their music passed the time before the big fight began and during the breaks in play. The inconveniences of delay and confusion were significantly diminished by this excellent system. The arrangements were beautifully organised all around, and the authorities displayed effort, resourcefulness, and sensitivity rather than just being ornaments.

“All Blacks” Arrive Amidst Warm Reception in Limerick

Eager Welcome for Invincible Footballers

The arrival of the esteemed “All Blacks” team was a highly anticipated event in Limerick. The players arrived in the city from Dublin on the 7.15 train the previous evening. They were met with a warm reception from the local committee, as well as numerous sporting enthusiasts from the city. Among those present to welcome the team were Mayor Alderman Joyce, MP, W. L. Stokes, A. W. Shaw, and others.

As the “All Blacks” disembarked, they were greeted with a fervent ovation from the sizable crowd of onlookers who had gathered at the station. The enthusiastic public had gathered in great numbers, lining the pathways leading to the station in their eagerness to catch a glimpse of the renowned footballers. The palpable excitement and anticipation were a testament to the team’s reputation as invincible players.

Following their arrival, the players were escorted to Cruise’s Hotel, where they rested for the evening. The next day, at 2 o’clock, they were taken to the field for the highly anticipated match. Their journey to the field was orchestrated by the experienced sportsman Mr J. O’G. Delmege, who took the reins of a four-in-hand carriage, providing a fitting and stylish transport for the revered athletes.

Missed Opportunity: Failed Attempt to Declare Half-Holiday

Efforts to Close Businesses for the Grand Football Match

Regrettably, the effort to establish today as a weekly half-holiday, instead of waiting until next Thursday, was not successful. A determined local committee, spearheaded by the Mayor, made an appeal to the three major businesses to close their doors for at least part of the afternoon in honour of the significant event. However, their request was met with a disappointing response as the businesses declined, maintaining regular operations.

Despite this setback, a number of large stores in the city and major business establishments did choose to close their premises for the day. This decision allowed their employees to fully immerse themselves in the festivities surrounding the highly anticipated football match. The move was appreciated by many, providing an opportunity for employees to join the throngs of spectators who gathered to witness a momentous football competition. The match’s significance was such that it would undoubtedly carve a special place in Limerick’s sporting history, making the day a cherished memory for all who were part of the event.

Notable Changes in the Munster Team: Challenges Arising

Unforeseen Shifts Raise Questions about Readiness

The Munster team’s sudden changes and alterations make one wonder if Irishmen are as unpredictable as the weather in their homeland. Yesterday evening witnessed a significant upheaval, as a considerable number of players declared their inability to participate. These unforeseen changes prompted questions about the team’s readiness and raised eyebrows about its composition.

The position of “full-back” appeared particularly troublesome. A number of players opted out, leaving a void that needed to be filled urgently. Landers, for reasons unknown, declined the role, and Hennebery from Garryowen was considered. However, Hennebery was unavailable, leading to a dilemma of who could step in as the full-back. After deliberation, Albie Quillinan, a former Garryowen favorite, emerged as the choice. Intriguingly, Quillinan had recently been engaged in Gaelic football and had not practiced rugby this season. While he might not be entirely current with the intricate nuances of rugby play, he has a history of performing well in trial matches. His proficiency as a solid tackler and an adept kicker likely played a significant role in his selection. Though he might have slowed down in some aspects, his skill set and experience made him the most viable option.

Changes in the forward division, on the other hand, seemed promising initially. It was anticipated that these adjustments would potentially yield positive results for the team. While they might not achieve remarkable feats, the revamped forward division was expected to hold its ground against the formidable Colonials. The hope was that the changes would enable them to at least maintain a competitive stance and contribute meaningfully to the game.

Conditions on the Field and Anticipation of the Match

Rain’s Influence and Enthusiastic Crowds Gather

The recent heavy rain that persisted throughout the previous night, coupled with intermittent showers on the morning of the match, inevitably impacted the playing field. The once springy turf from the day before had transformed into a much softer surface, making it less conducive to a fast-paced game. Despite these weather-induced challenges, the unwavering determination of the crowd was evident as they braved the elements to be a part of this momentous event.

The enthusiasm was palpable as thousands of eager spectators descended upon the Railway Station and the city, their numbers growing by the minute. Gates were opened an hour ahead of the scheduled start time, with the reserved seats in the grand stand and along the touchline being quickly occupied. The Markets Field enclosure had never witnessed such an immense gathering in its history. As they waited for the match to commence, the attendees found entertainment in listening to the bands playing or engaging in speculative discussions about the expected outcome.

Among the crowd, there seemed to be a prevailing sense of resigned acceptance that the “All Blacks” would maintain their reputation in Limerick, a reputation they had firmly upheld throughout their successful journey through England and Ireland. While hopes for a Munster victory were relatively subdued, the aspiration remained that the team would not leave the field entirely empty-handed.

Demonstrating their tactical acumen, the New Zealanders assembled a robust and heavy forward pack, anticipating that the soft field conditions would necessitate greater reliance on the forwards. This strategic decision highlighted their ability to adapt to varying circumstances and maximize their strengths.

In spite of the challenging weather and field conditions, the anticipation and excitement among the spectators were undeniable. The match promised to be a spectacle, drawing in fervent supporters who were eager to witness the encounter between Munster and the renowned “All Blacks” team.

The Match Unfolds: Teams Take the Field

Eager Anticipation as Teams Enter the Arena

The much-awaited moment arrived shortly before 2:30, as both teams made their entry onto the field, eliciting a tremendous ovation from the excited crowd. The “All Blacks” received a particularly enthusiastic reception, a testament to their revered status among spectators.

As the visiting New Zealand team gathered together on the field, they stood united and prepared to face their opponents. Eagerly and with anticipation in the air, they were poised to showcase the renowned skills and strategies that had made them famous throughout their journey.

The scene was set for an exhilarating match between Munster and the celebrated “All Blacks” squad. With the cheers of the crowd resounding in the background, the stage was now theirs to exhibit their prowess and engage in a spirited battle on the rugby field.

The Beginning: Teams Enter the Field

Just five minutes before the scheduled start time, the New Zealand team made their entrance onto the field, receiving a heartwarming ovation from the enthusiastic crowd. Their presence was acknowledged with cheers and applause, signifying the anticipation and respect the crowd held for these renowned rugby players.

A few moments later, the Munster team followed suit, led by McClear. As they made their way onto the field, the band played the iconic tune of “Garryowen,” a familiar melody that resonated with the local crowd. The spectators responded with resounding cheers, demonstrating their support for the home team.

Amidst the excitement and anticipation, Munster fans in the crowd rallied together, chanting “Hip, hip, Limerick!” The “All Blacks” responded to this spirited display with their own expression of tradition, performing their war song. The two teams exchanged these powerful chants, creating an electric atmosphere filled with cheers and camaraderie.

The field was now set for the match to commence, and the fervor in the air was undeniable. With the teams, the crowd, and the spirit of competition converging, the moment had arrived for the historic encounter to unfold.

War Song Sets the Tone as Teams Take the Field

The atmosphere was charged with energy and excitement as the teams made their way onto the field. The distinctive “Ka mate, ka mate” war song echoed, reinforcing the intensity of the upcoming contest and setting the tone for the match ahead.

The Munster team wore red jerseys with white collars, while the New Zealanders stood out in their distinctive all-black attire.

The referee for the match was Mr J. M. Magee from Bective Rangers.

With the teams fully assembled, the stage was set for the clash of titans. The players took their positions, ready to engage in a battle of skill, strategy, and determination, while the crowd awaited the unfolding of what promised to be a historic match.

The Play Unfolds

The match kicked off with the New Zealanders winning the toss and opting to defend the Market goal. Munster initiated the action by kicking off, and the excitement on the field was palpable. The game began with a spirited exchange of plays, with both teams vying for control of the ball.

From the early moments, Joe O’Connor of Munster made an attempt but unfortunately knocked on the ball. A scrummage was formed, and both teams displayed their determination and energy in the scrum battles. The New Zealand winger showed his agility by punting the ball, and the game continued with quick movements and changes of possession.

New Zealand was awarded a free kick just inside the 25-yard line, and Stokes took the kick, leading to McGrath finding touch near the half-way flag. The play continued with scrums and strategic moves, showcasing the teams’ determination to gain an upper hand. The All Blacks’ forward prowess became evident as they asserted their dominance in the scrums.

A pivotal moment arrived when a free was given to New Zealand for offside, leading to Glasgow’s remarkable penalty goal. The momentum was building for the All Blacks, and they continued to pressure Munster. However, McClear of Munster displayed his defensive skills, thwarting the All Blacks’ advances.

Despite Munster’s efforts to resist, the All Blacks’ skillful passing and quick movement allowed Abbott to cross the try line, although the conversion kick missed its mark. The game carried on with moments of intense action, with McClear, Joe O’Connor, and McQueen of Munster working hard to counter the All Blacks’ attacks.

As the game progressed, Glasgow of New Zealand capitalized on a try opportunity, extending their lead further. The All Blacks’ cohesive play and remarkable teamwork were evident in their strategic movements and well-executed tries. Despite Munster’s spirited attempts, they found it challenging to break through New Zealand’s defensive line.

The All Blacks maintained their momentum, with McClear’s efforts proving vital for Munster’s defence. Glasgow added another try for New Zealand, showcasing their consistent performance and skilled execution. The half-time whistle signaled a pause in the action, leaving the spectators eager for the second half of the match to unfold.

The first half of the match demonstrated the All Blacks’ formidable skills, cohesive teamwork, and impressive passing plays. Munster displayed determination and resilience, but they faced challenges in containing New Zealand’s dynamic and well-coordinated attacks. As the teams regrouped during half-time, the stage was set for a thrilling continuation of the match.

Second Half Action

As the second half began, New Zealand held a commanding lead with a score of 20 points to nil against Munster. The teams took their positions on the field, and the spectators eagerly awaited the continuation of the match.

The play resumed at 3:24, with a scrum formed at half-way. Joe O’Connor of Munster managed to break through the New Zealand defence and pass the ball to Stokes, who kicked it to touch within the Maori 25-yard line. However, the All Blacks quickly regained possession and McClear of Munster kicked to touch at the quarter-way flag.

Munster continued to apply pressure, with McClear’s tactical kicks and tackles keeping the All Blacks on their toes. Despite Munster’s efforts, the New Zealanders managed to maintain their solid defence and prevent any breakthroughs. The pace of the game slowed down, and the All Blacks seemed to be taking a more cautious approach.

From a line-out, the All Blacks worked the ball to the half-way line, where a scrum was formed. The teams engaged in scrummaging battles, with both sides showcasing their strength and determination. The All Blacks tried to break through Munster’s defence, but McClear’s efforts and the combined defensive work of the Irish team thwarted their attempts.

Munster’s performance in the second half showed their resilience and determination to hold their ground against the formidable All Blacks. The Irish team displayed effective tackling and defensive play, preventing the New Zealanders from adding to their lead. McClear’s contributions in both defence and offence were particularly notable.

Despite the All Blacks’ efforts to increase their lead, Munster’s defence held strong. The Irish team managed to counter some of the New Zealanders’ passing movements and limit their scoring opportunities. The game continued with exchanges of kicks and tactical maneuvers, with Munster striving to break through the All Blacks’ defence.

As the match progressed, both teams engaged in competitive play, with Joe O’Connor and Wallace of Munster making notable contributions. However, the superior combination and teamwork of the All Blacks remained evident, and they managed to create scoring opportunities.

The second half featured spirited play from both sides, with Munster showing great determination and defensive prowess. The All Blacks, while slowed down by Munster’s solid defence, still managed to execute successful plays and capitalize on scoring opportunities.

The match concluded with Stead of New Zealand scoring another try under the posts, followed by a successful conversion by Glasgow. The final whistle signaled the end of the game, with the All Blacks emerging as victors. Despite the scoreline, Munster displayed admirable effort and resilience in their performance against the formidable New Zealand team.

Final Score: NEW ZEALAND 32 – MUNSTER 0

The match came to an end with a convincing victory for the New Zealand team. The final score stood at 33 points for New Zealand and no points for Munster. Mr J M Magee of Bective Rangers served as the referee throughout the game.

As the clock ticked away, various moments of the match were recounted:

  • 2:23: Both teams were photographed before the start of the game.
  • 2:30: The New Zealanders entered the field to loud cheering from the spectators.
  • 2:32: Munster made their entrance to the field, cheered on with shouts of “Garryowen.”
  • 2:34: The All Blacks sang their war song, creating a fierce atmosphere.
  • 2:35: Munster kicked off the game.
  • 2:37: The first scrum of the game took place, and the All Blacks gained possession.
  • 2:38: Alby Quillinan kicked the ball into touch.
  • 2:40: Free kicks were exchanged between the teams.
  • 2:39: The first try of the game was scored by Abbott of the All Blacks.
  • 2:42: The ball went into touch near the Munster 25-yard line.
  • 2:43: A free kick was awarded to the All Blacks.
  • 2:44: Glasgow successfully kicked a penalty goal for the All Blacks.
  • 2:45: Munster launched an attack, but the ball went into touch near the All Blacks’ goal line.
  • 2:46: Play continued in the visitors’ 25-yard line.
  • 2:47: McClear of Munster saved a dangerous situation.
  • 2:48: Another free kick was given to the All Blacks.
  • 2:51: A try was scored by the All Blacks following a trip by Munster.
  • 2:52: Glasgow added the conversion points.
  • 2:53: The All Blacks scored another try through their winger.
  • 2:54: Glasgow missed the conversion attempt.
  • 2:55: A free kick was awarded to Munster, and McClear kicked into touch.
  • 2:56: A try was scored by the All Blacks, remaining unconverted.
  • 2:57: The injured All Blacks player was brought down by McClear.
  • 2:58: Play resumed, and the All Blacks were cheered on by Maori shouts.
  • 3:01: Munster’s performance improved as they pressed forward.
  • 3:02: A free kick was awarded to Munster, and they continued to challenge the All Blacks.
  • 3:04: The All Blacks gained possession and relieved the pressure.
  • 3:06: Play continued near the Munster quarter-flag.
  • 3:07: The All Blacks maintained control of the ball, with Gillett making an impact.
  • 3:08: Munster initiated a rush, but the All Blacks’ defence held strong.
  • 3:09: Abbott of the All Blacks almost scored, but Munster’s Joe O’Connor made a fine tackle.
  • 3:10: A try was scored by Abbott for the All Blacks after impressive passing.
  • 3:12: A free kick was awarded to Munster, but McClear’s attempt fell short.
  • 3:15: Munster continued to push forward, with the All Blacks responding well.
  • 3:17: Another free kick was given to Munster, but they were unable to score.
  • 3:18: Munster launched another rush, but the All Blacks’ defence held strong.
  • 3:19: Abbott of the All Blacks scored another try after a magnificent passing sequence.
  • 3:21: Glasgow’s conversion attempt was unsuccessful.
  • 3:22: A free kick was awarded to Munster, but their efforts fell short.
  • 3:23: The final whistle blew, marking the end of the game.
  • 3:24: Munster was unable to score, and the final score remained New Zealand 33 – Munster 0.

Throughout the match, the efforts of both teams were closely followed and recounted by the spectators and commentators. The New Zealand team’s dominant performance secured their victory, while Munster demonstrated their determination and resilience despite the scoreline.

Limerick Echo – Tuesday 28 November 1905