Skip to content

The Rise and Fall of Cleeves Factory

Aerial View Of Cleeves Factory, Limerick C.1960s

Within 10 years, the Cleeves Brothers operated the largest milk processing factory in Ireland. In 1889, the business was incorporated as a private limited company. Within ten years 60,000 tins of condensed milk were being produced daily at its Limerick headquarters, with 10,000 cows providing the raw material. The factory was established in the late 19th century and underwent significant expansion during the early 20th century to meet the growing demand for its products.

In the 1960s, Cleeves Factory employed several hundred workers, many of whom lived in the nearby communities of St. Mary’s Park and Island Road. The factory was known for its high standards of safety and environmental protection and was a major contributor to the local economy.

cleeves factory, limerick c.1900s

Despite its success, Cleeves Factory faced several challenges during the 1960s, including increased competition from other manufacturers and changes in the global market for similar products. In the 1970s, the factory began to decline and eventually closed its doors in the 1980s.

Today, the site of Cleeves Factory has been redeveloped as a mixed-use commercial and residential area, with a number of shops, offices, and apartments. However, the legacy of Cleeves Factory remains an important part of Limerick’s industrial and social history.

Join The Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *