In 1804, The Limerick Navigation Company Was Reconstituted As The Shannon Navigation Company And Received A Government Grant Of £70,000 To Complete The Project. The Canal Was Completed In 1809, And The First Boat Navigated The Canal In April Of That Year.
The Canal Bank was an important commercial hub during the 19th and early 20th centuries, with many warehouses and factories located along its banks. It played a vital role in the economic development of the region, allowing goods to be transported more efficiently and cheaply than by road.
However, with the advent of motorized transport in the early 20th century, the canal began to decline in importance. By the 1960s, it had fallen into disrepair and was no longer navigable. In the 1970s, the Limerick Navigation Restoration Society was formed with the aim of restoring the canal to its former glory.
After many years of hard work and fundraising, the Canal Bank was finally reopened in 1994, and the first boat to navigate the restored canal was the President of Ireland’s barge, the “Iolar na Mara.” Today, the Canal Bank is a popular destination for walkers, cyclists, and anglers, and it continues to be an important part of Limerick’s history and heritage.