A heartbreaking incident occurred in the Limerick region, near the borders of Kerry. According to a telegram, Hannah Kelly and her two young children, John and Mary, aged eleven and eight, respectively, were found dead in their Athea residence on Thursday.
It seems that Hannah, in an attempt to keep the family warm and secure during the night, had unintentionally sealed all air passages and cracks in their home. This tragic oversight led to the asphyxiation of the mother and her two children as they slept. The lack of ventilation is believed to have caused a significant decrease in oxygen levels, thus resulting in the untimely deaths of the family members.
The shocking discovery has left the close-knit community in disbelief, as locals mourn the loss of a young mother and her two innocent children. Nobody could have imagined that such a routine action, meant to protect her family, would have such dire consequences.
Authorities are working closely with relatives and community members to offer support and counseling during this difficult time, ensuring that those affected by the tragic incident receive the care and assistance needed. The devastating event, which took the lives of Hannah Kelly and her children, will be a solemn reminder of the importance of maintaining proper ventilation in residential spaces.
Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Saturday 31 January 1903