Web Analytics


In a surprising turn of events, the city of Limerick finds itself at the centre of a heated dispute in the aftermath of the All-Ireland Hurling final. The drama unfolded during the crucial meeting of the Central Council, where an ultimatum was delivered, putting Limerick in a challenging position.

Mr J. O’Sullivan, the President of the GAA, revealed that an ultimatum had been issued to Limerick, demanding the county to withdraw from the Association. The ultimatum stems from an incident during the All-Ireland Hurling final between Limerick and an unnamed opponent.

The meeting, attended by prominent figures like Messrs. Kennedy, H., Brown, and V.P., witnessed a tense atmosphere as the ultimatum was presented. Corrigan of Antrim, O’Hanlon of Meath, and St. Ledger of Heath participated in the deliberations. The chairman, in charge of presiding over the meeting, disclosed the nature of the ultimatum, sparking a series of reactions from the gathered representatives.

Limerick Hurling Team Of 1913:

Back: Ned Halvey, Con Scanlon, Davey Connell, Jack O’Shea, Tyler Mackey, John Bourke (Co. Sec), Martin Hayes, Tom Semple, Jackie Ryan (Goal), James Halvey, Tom Hayes (Young Ireland), John Kelly (Co. Chairperson), Pat Mangan.

Middle: Pat Vaughan, Stephen Gleeson, Terry Mangan, Egan Clancy, Tom Hayes (Fedamore), Mick Harrington.

Front: Mick Feely, Pat Flaherty And Sean Carroll.

It was revealed that Limerick had been informed by the GAA that the match venue, initially designated as a neutral ground, was later discovered to be waterlogged. Mr T. O’Connor, the Limerick representative, expressed his surprise at this revelation, emphasizing that the team had followed protocol and informed the GAA officials promptly upon their arrival at the venue.

An amendment suggesting a replay in Cork was initially proposed but was met with resistance. Another amendment, offering Limerick the option to choose between Limerick or a neutral venue for the replay, was debated extensively. The odds were initially against Limerick, with the proposal being voted down 5 to 4. However, it was ultimately reversed, with Marion emerging as the chosen venue for the replay.

The Limerick representative, Mr T. O’Connor, stated that the team was willing to accept the decision but emphasized their desire for a fair and impartial replay. The controversy surrounding the choice of Marion as the venue was further fuelled by the revelation that Mr O’Connor had declared the ground unsuitable due to waterlogging, raising questions about the integrity of the decision-making process.

The controversy extended beyond the replay venue, as a surprising twist unfolded. It was disclosed that the Central Council had issued an ultimatum to Limerick, demanding the county’s withdrawal from the GAA. The nature of the ultimatum and the specific reasons behind it were not immediately clear, leaving both the representatives and the public in suspense.

In a bid to resolve the escalating tensions, an emergency meeting was scheduled between Limerick representatives and GAA officials. The outcome of this meeting could have far-reaching consequences for Limerick’s involvement in the GAA and the broader implications for the Association’s governance.

As the controversy continues to unfold, the city of Limerick finds itself at the epicentre of a storm that has the potential to reshape the landscape of Irish hurling. The drama surrounding the All-Ireland Hurling final replay and the ultimatum issued to Limerick has captured the attention of sports enthusiasts nationwide, leaving many eagerly awaiting the resolution of this unprecedented situation.

Irish Independent – Monday 04 March 1912

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments