Image
10 July 2026
At Baker Place in early twentieth-century Limerick, Saint Saviour’s Dominican Church stands at the centre of a broad cobbled streetscape, its Gothic stone façade, rose window, pointed arches, and carved doorways giving the scene a strong ecclesiastical presence. To the right, Tait’s Clock rises above the roadway as a civic landmark, balanced by red-brick industrial buildings and smoking chimneys behind it. Period pedestrians, a horse-drawn cart, street lamps, and a…
View Image
Image
16 July 2026
The old church near Holycross, County Limerick, was recorded as a ruin by 1642. In 1679, Rachael Bourchier, Countess of Bath, restored the building, just one year before her death. Thereafter it became known as the New Church, or Teampall Nua in Irish, and served local Church of Ireland parishioners. A belfry was added during the restoration, giving the structure a distinctive profile. Although the church later fell out of…
View Image
Image
17 July 2026
Shanagolden, whose Irish name Seanghualainn means “old shoulder,” possesses a history stretching from early medieval warfare to plantation settlement and modern political struggle. Nearby lands witnessed Mahon’s victory over Norse forces in 968, while Shanid Castle later became a major FitzGerald stronghold. St Katherine’s Abbey reflects the district’s medieval religious heritage. Following the Desmond conflicts, the village was reshaped as an Elizabethan plantation settlement, leaving its broad street, square and…
View Image
Image
10 July 2026
AI-assisted archival reconstruction showing St Mary’s Cathedral, Limerick, viewed from the surrounding garden grounds. The image presents the cathedral tower, Gothic windows, mature trees, planted walks, benches, and landscaped foreground in a restored historical setting, preserving the atmosphere of the original source photograph while removing modern watermarking and visual damage.
View Image
Image
31 July 2026
This rare 1932 photograph shows the newly completed Bishop O’Dwyer Bridge linking Limerick city with Corbally. Constructed between 1929 and 1931 at a cost of £21,308, the concrete structure replaced the older Park Bridge, which had served the district since 1798. It was named in honour of Dr Edward Thomas O’Dwyer, Bishop of Limerick from 1886 to 1917. The bridge represented a new era of engineering, transport and urban development,…
View Image