Image
13 July 2026
This 1937 view of O’Connell Street, historically known as George’s Street, captures Limerick’s principal commercial thoroughfare during a period of urban transition. Georgian façades, prominent shopfronts and the landmark clock tower frame a busy scene of pedestrians, cyclists, motorcars and public transport. Heavy coats and formal dress reflect everyday life before the Second World War, while traditional businesses line both sides of the street. Several buildings and upper storeys shown…
View Image
Image
11 July 2026
This photograph, dated 1 March 1937, captures a busy market day in Limerick city. Horse-drawn carts, traders, shoppers, and farmers crowd the wet street, creating a vivid picture of everyday commercial life. On the right, a man drives a horse and trap, a form of transport commonly associated with more prosperous Irish farmers. Market goods are displayed on carts and stalls, while pedestrians move between the buildings lining the street.…
View Image
Image
13 July 2026
George Street, now O’Connell Street, formed the bustling commercial and social heart of Limerick around 1900. Elegant Georgian and Victorian façades lined the thoroughfare, their ornate shopfronts illuminated by gaslight and filled with goods for local shoppers. Horse-drawn carriages, jaunting cars and merchant carts crowded the roadway, while pedestrians in heavy coats and hats moved between businesses and hotels. The grand Cruises Royal Hotel stood among the street’s most prominent…
View Image
Image
11 July 2026
This photograph, dated 1 March 1937, captures a busy market day in Limerick city. Horse-drawn carts, traders, shoppers, and farmers crowd the wet street, creating a vivid picture of everyday commercial life. On the right, a man drives a horse and trap, a form of transport commonly associated with more prosperous Irish farmers. Market goods are displayed on carts and stalls, while pedestrians move between the buildings lining the street.…
View Image
Image
16 July 2026
Mountshannon House, near Castleconnell in County Limerick, was one of Ireland’s grandest eighteenth-century mansions. Built around 1750, it later gained a monumental Ionic portico during an 1813 remodelling by architect Lewis Wyatt. Tradition claimed the house contained 365 windows, while its vast entrance hall could accommodate a horse-drawn carriage. Surrounded by a 900-acre demesne between the River Shannon and Mulkear River, its celebrated gardens were designed by John Sutherland. Home…
View Image