Limerick Photographic Archive

LA-PH-000537

Mount St. Alphonsus Church on Limerick’s South Circular Road is one of the city’s most impressive Gothic Revival landmarks. Designed by English architect Thomas Hardwick, it opened for worship in December 1862, with its commanding bell tower added in 1876. Built from dark Limerick limestone, the church contains a richly decorated interior featuring a Carrara marble high altar, Venetian mosaics and stained-glass windows by Meyer of Munich. Administered by the Redemptorist Order, it is also Ireland’s National Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. Its celebrated annual novena continues to attract thousands of worshippers from across the country each year.