Image
11 July 2026
This variation of a colour print depicts Adare Manor beside the River Maigue in Adare, County Limerick. The imposing Gothic Revival residence is shown within landscaped grounds, reflected in the calm water and framed by mature trees. Often described as a calendar house, the manor is associated with 365 windows and 52 chimneys, representing the days and weeks of the year. Published in Francis Orpen Morris’s A Series of Picturesque…
View Image
Image
31 July 2026
This rare 1932 photograph shows the newly completed Bishop O’Dwyer Bridge linking Limerick city with Corbally. Constructed between 1929 and 1931 at a cost of £21,308, the concrete structure replaced the older Park Bridge, which had served the district since 1798. It was named in honour of Dr Edward Thomas O’Dwyer, Bishop of Limerick from 1886 to 1917. The bridge represented a new era of engineering, transport and urban development,…
View Image
Image
16 July 2026
The old church near Holycross, County Limerick, was recorded as a ruin by 1642. In 1679, Rachael Bourchier, Countess of Bath, restored the building, just one year before her death. Thereafter it became known as the New Church, or Teampall Nua in Irish, and served local Church of Ireland parishioners. A belfry was added during the restoration, giving the structure a distinctive profile. Although the church later fell out of…
View Image
Image
15 July 2026
In 1900, George Street, now O’Connell Street, formed the commercial heart of Edwardian Limerick. Its broad thoroughfare was lined with elegant Georgian buildings, busy shops, hotels and offices, while horse-drawn carts, carriages and pedestrians filled the roadway. Street traders added colour and activity to the city’s principal avenue. Among its notable establishments were the Cruises Royal Hotel, MacMahon’s Temperance Hotel and respected merchants such as O’Mahony & Company. The street…
View Image
Image
31 July 2026
This rare 1932 photograph shows the newly completed Bishop O’Dwyer Bridge linking Limerick city with Corbally. Constructed between 1929 and 1931 at a cost of £21,308, the concrete structure replaced the older Park Bridge, which had served the district since 1798. It was named in honour of Dr Edward Thomas O’Dwyer, Bishop of Limerick from 1886 to 1917. The bridge represented a new era of engineering, transport and urban development,…
View Image